Saturday, January 29, 2011

He Turns Our Mourning Into Dancing

What a sad afternoon yesterday!   We had Valerie Fowler's "despedida" (going away party).   She has been with us, living at the children's home, for nearly FIVE years!    The children gave her a wonderful send-off.   We love her so much.   I felt sort of desperately sad, but did not cry.   After the program, Olga who works with our CAP program and knows about every needy situation in Flor (hundreds or thousands), approached me to tell about a few.   She cried.  My heart fell further, but no tears.   I walked over to Evelyn to ask if we have the resources to help with some of the situations Olga described.   Evelyn explained our financial situation.   My heart was threatening to take up residence in my big toe at this point, but I still did not let the tears flow.

A couple of hours later I was seated with lots of other parents at Elsa and Sallie's school for a big annual program.   We are the newest family in the school, and I have been as scattered a mom as usual, so really have not understood this "annual conference" thing completely.   All of a sudden Sallie's name was announced to sing a SOLO in front of all of us!!   I had just gotten a new cell phone, and so was frantically trying to figure out how to take a photo.   Sallie was so courageous.   A few minutes later, she won a medal for second place in a track relay.    Then I started thinking, "Oh, no.  Elsa is going to feel badly that she didn't win anything."   Sure enough, here comes Elsa to sit in my lap and tell me she hadn't won anything.   "Don't worry," I said more hopefully than I felt, "The night isn't over yet."   A short time later, Elsa WON the science fair for first grade!!!   I just about fell out of my chair.

When did the tears finally come?   During Sallie's song.   I looked at that beautiful little girl wearing a butterfly headband, bravely holding the microphone and singing "Open the Eyes of My Heart, Lord" in front of about 200 people.    Into my head came this thought:   "Olga could have been telling  me Sallie's sad story today.   She could have been that 3-yr-old little girl begging on the streets of Flor."   Many silent tears flowing down my face:  Yes, there is hope.   Each of our rescued and restored children breathes those words:   Yes, there is hope.   God is seeing that precious little girl and so many others.   By His grace, we will find a way.

Jesus turns our mourning into dancing.   He raises our hearts from our big toe into the heavenly places with Him.   Where there is no way, He makes one, and His ways are always breathtaking.    Thank you, Jesus, for being the hope of the children, and for reminding us that Your miracles are right in front of us, wanting to be embraced by faithful followers of the Lamb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home