Saturday, January 28, 2012

Getting What We Deserve

"In the event of Servant Partners personnel or their dependents being kidnapped, every effort will be made to secure their release, using the guidelines in the “Security Protocols for Servant Partners Teams” for that specific field. However, consistent with our dependence on God, it is important that workers and their families be aware that it is Servant Partners policy not to pay ransom money, as this would place a price on the lives of other Servant Partners workers."


Sometimes I think I shouldn’t be so faithful about reading the international news reports. I often end up troubled in mind and spirit. For example, this week there is a story about two humanitarian workers who were rescued from Somalian pirates by Navy SEALS. The general response seemed to be, “They (the Somalian pirates) got what they deserved.” All nine were killed.

Most people don’t know that almost all missionaries and humanitarian workers sign an agreement before reporting to the field which says that it is understood that in the case of kidnapping, no ransom will be paid, nor should a rescue attempt be expected. These measures are for the sole purpose of protecting the wider community of foreign workers. Obviously, if kidnappers can expect a nice ransom for kidnapping a missionary or humanitarian worker, then one after another will be kidnapped. And if a daring rescue at any cost can be expected by the foreign workers, then there is little reason to carefully count the cost ahead of time, and minimal deterrent to exercising extreme caution on site. I don’t know if those two workers signed such an agreement, but they certainly knew that they were headed for a dangerous place where anything could happen.

In addition, it struck me that the line about the deaths of the Somalians was as short and unfeeling as mine above. I know, I know: “They were criminals!” “They kidnapped good people!” “They were pirates!” And yet they were also human beings in need of a Savior. Did they have families? Hungry children at home? Is anyone concerned about where they are spending eternity? Or is that part of getting what they deserve?

I think of Paul, who was responsible for the incarceration and deaths of innocent Christian men, women and children. The thief on the cross. The slave trader who wrote “Amazing Grace.” A young man who spoke on our soccer court a few months ago who killed people in cold blood, served a prison term, repented, and now spends his days trying to keep other young people from making bad decisions. And then there’s me. I’m too ashamed to list my sins in this blog, but they are numerous, varied and serious. Thankfully they are also forgiven. And thankfully, like Paul and the other folks I just mentioned, I did not get what I deserved. I got grace. I got another chance – and another – and another. Love came down.

I guess my point is that I think we Christians should be saddened by the death of anyone who has not heard and received the Good News in Jesus Christ. Of course we’re glad that two people who were held captive are now free. Their freedom was bought, however, at a tremendous price. The next time we think, “Good riddance to bad company,” (or some such thing), perhaps we should look in the mirror and be reminded that Jesus died for one such as me.

And I recently signed another one of those ‘no ransom’ agreements with my mission agency, Servant Partners, but certainly not because I’m brave or noble. If I were kidnapped, I would be as terrified as the next person, but please don’t call the Navy SEALS. I don’t want to walk out over the bodies of the unsaved, regardless of how ‘hellish’ they are. Jesus died for them, too. Sometimes we have to follow Him to Gethsemane and drink from His cup. Redemption trumps ransom and rescue – every time.

2 Comments:

At January 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Mary Crawford James said...

Amen to that!

 
At January 29, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Onthepathway said...

WOW is all I can say...I've never thought of that

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home