Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I Want to Be Baptized


Easter Sunday is my favorite day of the year, primarily because it is the day we do baptisms at the children's home. Is there anything more exciting than a baptism? -- and on Easter Sunday?! I could hardly sleep Saturday night thinking about how beautiful the next day was going to be, and I was not disappointed.

Seven children had gone through the "I Want to Be Baptized" preparation with me: Raul, Tony, Kevin, Jonibel, Norma, Kennet and Emanuel. We had a little retreat together on the Tuesday during Holy Week, which was followed by a Maundy Thursday footwashing service with all of the children, and then the Via Crucis (Stations of the Cross) on Friday. On Sunday we decorated the church with flowers (thanks, Amanda, Lety and Jorge!), took off the black shroud and replaced it with resurrection white, and put on some Jesus praise music. Let the celebration begin!

For more photos of our morning together, please see Amanda's blog (www.hondurasamanda.blogspot.com). It was glorious from start to finish. One of the highlights, of course, was the dress I was wearing. ha. I had gotten myself a new pair of tennies for Easter, but at the last minute decided to dress up. I got lots of thumbs up, so I guess I'll have to do that more often!

Holy Week in Honduras is for many people just a vacation/party week (go to the beach; drink; eat a lot; rest), but I want our children to look forward to Holy Week because of the special services. I think everybody had an encounter with Jesus this year. We remembered His example of service as we washed one another's feet on Thursday, and we walked to Calvary with Him on Friday in yet another attempt to understand His sacrifice. His Name was held high throughout the week, and the joyful spirit in church on Sunday was palpable. Cristo ha resucitado! Aleluya!

So, Happy Easter! And may His resurrection life characterize each and every day of our lives!

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Shanda said...

I have been following your blog and praise God for the way he is blessing your ministry.

 
At April 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Amanda Scott said...

My blog address is http://hondurasamanda.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home