Monday, March 7, 2011

Is It Possible to Pray Too Hard?


Yesterday I was in a taxi headed for Hospital Escuela to visit a mother and baby. The taxi driver was extremely upbeat and friendly. He spoke English, so he was delighted to practice. He asked me where I was from, what I was doing in Honduras, etc. etc. etc. Just as we were nearing the hospital, he asked, “Are you married?”
“No,” I said. “I’ve never been married.”
“What!?!?!?!?!?!?” he cried. “ You are so pretty! Why aren’t you married?”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“But you have a boyfriend?”
“No,” I said.
“What?!?!?!?!?!?!?” he cried. “No boyfriend?!?!?!? Give me your phone number!”
I laughed. By now we were at the hospital, and cars were honking at us to get moving.
“Give me your phone number!”
“Are you a Christian?” I asked.
“No, but hurry! Give me your phone number!”
“God bless you!” I said as I exited the taxi.
As I was walking through the hospital gate, I thought, “I think somebody is praying too hard about my loneliness.” (Big smile.) Is that possible?: To pray so hard that an excitable, pagan taxi driver appears on the scene – or maybe it was just the Enemy’s idea of a funny joke. It was funny, and of course I’m especially thrilled that he noticed how pretty I am! So thanks for those earnest prayers; I needed a funny experience like that! 

3 Comments:

At March 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Suzy, that is so priceless. It should let you know how many people are, in fact, praying for you.:-)

 
At March 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM , Blogger jeni gardner said...

love it! you ARE beautiful, you know! xoxo

 
At March 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Suzy! Just started following your blog. I'm a friend of Mary Jane Viar via Pat Viar! :-) This is hysterical! LOVE IT!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home