Sunday, February 13, 2011

Household Gods

This morning in the shower I had a thought which struck me as True:    I was thinking about how difficult it is for people to give extravagantly to God’s work, particularly in regards to financial gifts.   I am convinced that the reason has more to do with fear than with selfishness.    My thoughts turned to the ministry of James Fraser among the Lisu people of China.   The one sure sign that a family had turned to Christ was that they would destroy their household gods.   Fraser would not baptize them until they had done so.   Destroying the household gods was a huge decision, considered extremely foolish by many onlookers.   In fact, Lisu observers were certain that the gods would wreak vengeance on the offending family, and perhaps even kill them.    In Fraser’s ministry, conversion to Christianity was a family decision, and if the family decided to follow Christ, the men of the family would destroy the household gods with fear and trembling.   For a poor family particularly, this was a true step of faith away from their only (perceived) security.
Maybe you see where I’m going with this:   We, too, have household gods.   If we become extravagant in our response to Jesus’ call on our lives, we are often considered foolish, and onlookers await our “ruin.”   We have become devoted to the point of worship in regards to our finances.   If we manage to save a good bit, then we feel proud, wise, safe.     If we pitch perilously close to bankruptcy (or worse), then we don’t need anyone else to tell us how pitifully we have failed.    And to consciously “burn the gods” (become poor, or much poorer, for Christ’s sake) is even worse in many minds.   As one of my relatives said to me years ago, “Why would you choose to be poor?” 
Of course I’m not poor, not in any sense of the word.    As I was packing up my house today, I set aside “a few treasures” to bring to Casa Lamb for safekeeping.   My few treasures filled up the back of my car – not counting my children, the six puppies and their mother, and my guitar.    On my way to Casa Lamb, my mind was roiling with the Truth about “household gods”:   how much is too much?   How attached am I to material things?  Am I being extravagant in my response to the Lord?
Although some Christians claim that money has nothing to do with spirituality, the  Scriptures are clear that how we “handle our finances” is perhaps the most visible and telling expression of our devotion to Christ.     May we respond extravagantly to the extravagant love of Jesus towards each of us! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home